PrometSource.com - a Chicago based web and mobile application development company - is looking to hire a System Administrator. We build some of the more innovative Drupal websites and have great clients that are leaders in their communities and have extensive reach in the broad audience. We are looking to add an experienced System Administrator who wants to be a part of a fun, collaborative team of individuals where every one's voice is heard and all ideas are always considered.
The System Administrator is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure. This individual ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational values.
This individual will assist project teams with technical issues in the Initiation and Planning phases of our projects. These activities include the definition of needs, benefits, and technical strategy; research & development within the project life-cycle; technical analysis and design; and support of operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out the solutions. Participation on projects is focused on smoothing the transition of projects from development to production by performing operations activities within the project life-cycle.
System Administrator Engineering and Provisioning
1. Engineering of SA-related solutions for various project and operational needs.
2. Install new / rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
3. Install and configure systems such as supports infrastructure applications.
4. Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures.
5. Contribute to and maintain system standards.
6. Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated, approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
Operations and Support
7. Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
8. Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions.
9. Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary.
10. Perform regular file archival and purge as necessary.
11. Create, change, and delete user accounts per request.
12. Provide other support per request from various staff members. Investigate and troubleshoot issues.
13. Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted parties.
14. Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure / add new services as necessary.
15. Upgrade and configure system software that supports infrastructure applications per project or operational needs.
16. Maintain operational, configuration, or other procedures.
17. Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
18. Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
19. Maintain data center environmental and monitoring equipment.
1. Bachelor (4-year) degree, with a technical major, such as engineering or computer science.
2. Two to four year’s system administration experience.
Competitive pay and ability to work on fantastic clients in a laid back fun environment. The experience of working directly with friendly and supportive clients. Some of our past and current clients include sba.gov, sprint.com, large associations with major offices in DC area (can't mention them by name), startups, small business and lots of creative companies.
Of course we offer competitive compensation, full health care plan and profit sharing.
Promet Source is an Open Source Web and Mobile web application development company. Promet has been building open source websites since 2003. We are a very entrepreneurial company which seeks to continually redevelop its skill set. We are a flat organization which means everyone has a say and we encourage everyone to develop their interest. We love to work on social aspects of the web and mobile apps.
Please email resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org