Join our Drupal team and help deliver a transformational social learning & networking platform to universities. GoingOn is a funded startup developing a Drupal-based platform to bring online social collaboration to universities. Our goal is to deliver the absolute best social learning tools for education. To do that, we've put together a world-class development team, and we'd like you to join us.
In building our platform, our developers have used the same commonly understood Drupal practices and techniques that you've learned as a member of the Drupal community. So you'll feel right at home. But we're also pushing the envelope of Drupal technology in order to create one of the first software-as-a-service (SaaS) platforms based on Drupal. Our code is fully based on the exportables-driven everything-in-
code philosophy, so you will be on the bleeding edge of Distributions-oriented development.
Your job on our team will be build out new features, architect new functionality, and contribute generally to the advancement of one of the most sophisticated Drupal-based platforms around. Learners across the country will be using your tools every day.
As a company, we are very pro-Drupal. We contribute bug fixes, enhancements, and new technology whenever we can and collaborate with other Drupal developers. We'll ask you to do the same. This is full-time, on-site position at our San Francisco office with compensation commensurate with experience.
Skills and Requirements
- Awesome PHP chops and examples to prove it!
- Knowledge of good development practices, awareness of how to write scalable, high performing code.
- Adept at using essential Drupal modules such as CCK, Views, and Organic Groups.
- An awareness of current trends in Drupal and web development (what excites you about D8? HTML5?)
- Strong communication skills (we live on IRC and communicate to coordinate)
- High standards for code quality and attention to detail (your work will be seen by lots of people)
- A strong desire to work closely with others (we're a personally relaxed but professionally committed group)
- The ability to both be a self-starter and to take direction (in a very dynamic environment)
- Involvement in the Drupal community (let us know how you've participated or contributed)
- A positive personal attitude (we enjoy our work and you should too!)
- Strong module and patch creation skills.
- Skilled with sophisticated modules such as Features, Context, and Spaces.
- Team development experience (no developer is an island)
- Version control experience (we use git)
- Issue tracking experience (we use Trac to write up tickets and knock them out)
- Experience with iterative development (Agile, scrum, etc.)
- SaaS experience (a different way of delivering Drupal)
- Education industry experience (especially online education)
- B.A. or B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience
GoingOn is developing a social learning solution that leverages the "social web" to fundamentally change the online education experience. We've been around since 2007 and our clients include major universities, publishing companies, and private education firms.
We're an early-revenue startup that just entered growth mode, so we need smart people like you who know how to make things happen fast and well. You should thrive on the sometimes crazy energy that comes from being part of a startup, and you should be genuinely inspired by the idea of using the social web to radically improve education.
If this doesn't sound like you, then you really shouldn't apply. However, if it does then this is a rare chance to join a very talented collaborative team, contribute at the ground floor, and play a key role in an exciting new market.
We work hard to create success, but we also foster a positive and inspiring work environment that lets everyone play his or her part. Here are some of the qualities you'll find on our team (and that we'll expect from you):
- Be honest, ethical, and forthright
- Be helpful, reliable, and respectful of others
- Be passionate, driven, and unafraid
- Be smart but also able to learn from others
- Be creative, persistent, and willing to do what it takes to make it happen
- Recognize that it takes all types (and know that none of us are "all types")
Getting the right person for our team is extremely important to us. If this job and our company excite you, then we'd strongly encourage you to apply as soon as possible. We enjoy working with each other and we'd like to work with you too.
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us about how you and this job are perfect for each other. Be sure to include the following in your email:
- Drupal profile
- Personal website (if you have one)
- Describe or link to at least two websites you've worked on, what you did on those websites (e.g., architecting, theming, coding, etc.) and what they show about your abilities
- Resume of previous work
- Willingness to relocate if you don't currently live in the Bay Area
There are slots available for both full time and contracted employment.